Munroe Falls Historical Society
43 Munroe Falls Ave.
Munroe Falls, OH 44262-1537
Sights to See in Munroe Falls
The Munroe Falls Historical Society operates a 19th century home as its museum with exhibits on local history and a local history library and archives.
The Coach House
50 Munroe Falls Avenue
Constructed by Owen Brown in 1850 and used for a bank, it was located on a large water basin where the canal boats were loaded with passengers and cargo. The house has now been refurbished and is used for offices.
The Guise House and Thornton Kitchen
147 South Main Street
Built by the Guise family in 1885 is now a private residence. The stone summer kitchen at the rear of the home, circa 1817, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Dixon-McCracken General Store
10 North Main Street (Dixon 1912-1919, McCracken 1920-)
Built in 1836 by Lyman Beckley it now houses a barber shop downstairs and a gift and art gallery on the first and second floors.
The Geistweite Home
21 North Main Street
A title search of this property indicated that it was built in 1868. It is listed on the Summit County Century Homes Registry (not open to the public.)
Munroe Falls Town Hall
43 Monroe Falls Avenue
The current Town Hall was originally built as a Township school in 1885 to serve the area around Munroe Falls. It was located on the southwest corner of Monroe Falls Avenue and Main Street. It was moved to its present site in the late 1960’s. Its bell tower was reconstructed by Munroe Falls Historical Society in time for the village’s Sesquicentennial celebration in 1988.
Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal
Located just north of the Cuyahoga River in Brust Park, between the intersection of N Main and N River and Falls River Rd
Ohio Historical Marker here states:
Officially opening on August 4, 1840, the Pennsylvania Pennsylvania and Ohio Canaland Ohio Canal followed the route of present railroad tracks through Munroe Falls approximately one thousand feet south of this marker. This 82-mile long "feeder canal" connected the Beaver Valley canal system at New Castle, Pennsylvania with the Ohio and Erie Canal in Akron, thereby linking Pittsburgh with Cleveland and the western Great Lakes. Many communities along the canal's path became linked to national and world commerce through their establishment as canal ports.
New England investor Edmund Munroe purchased property and water rights along the canal's proposed route, and in 1837 established the Munroe Falls Manufacturing Company. The village of Munroe Falls grew around the manufacturing company site and was incorporated on October 26, 1838. When this section of the canal closed in 1869, the waterway through Munroe Falls was filled and railroad tracks were laid over its path. A portion of the canal bed is still visible east of State Route 91.